Work at GEMS
What you should know
GEMS’ strict hiring guidelines include these requirements:
- State of Connecticut Certification/License (EMT, AEMT, Paramedic).
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in EMS as an EMT or Paramedic.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification (Paramedic).
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification (Paramedic).
- American Heart Association CPR certification as required for your level of care.
- Successful completion of a GEMS/Connecticut Statewide Protocol examination.
- Successful completion of a comprehensive background investigation.
GEMS continuing employment requires:
- Successful completion of State of Connecticut refresher training and requirements.
- Daily evaluations of individual call-run reports by the GEMS Director of Professional Standards.
- Monthly CME and Call Review requirements.
- Maintain current certifications in ACLS, PALS and CPR required for your level of care.
- Attendance of annual skill review sessions provided by GEMS.
All potential applicants are required to complete a pre-employment physical examination through our contracted medical provider.
All active employees are required to complete an annual physical examination as a condition of their employment.
GEMS requires pre-employment drug testing and was the first EMS service in Connecticut to establish on-going random drug testing.